Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Deformation of an agar surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello alll,

I'm new to comsol and i am wanting to use it to model the deformation of a disk of agar by a small force being applied to the underside of the disk by a piece of plastic. The plastic is a square in shape and is smaller in diameter than the disk of agar.

So far i've identified that i can set the material parameters for both the plastic and the agar and also that i can place them in space so that they are initally directly touching, with the plastic being below the agar and they are boith centered around x,y,z=0. I've also read about making the two structures into an assembly with contact regions (but i'm not sure exactly if this is needed for my simulation).

I was wondering if anyone can help me with any advice about how to progress next with this simulation. I now need to input that 1. the square of plastic is moved in the postive z direction by 3mm as so the impose a force on the agar and deform it and 2. i need to put in boundary conditions so that the sides of the agar remain fixed at z=0 so that only the middle regions of the agar is moved by the square of plastic.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit confusing and hopefully someone can help!

Cheers

Paul

1 Reply Last Post May 21, 2019, 11:01 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago May 21, 2019, 11:01 a.m. EDT

Update: So i can get the agar disk to now deform semi correctly by simply imposing boundary conditions on the domains of the side of the disk. These boundary conditons give it zero displacement at its sides which is correct. However it appears that the smaller plastic square is just passing through the disk and is not actually coming into "contact" with it? I've defined an assembly instead of a union and also defined a contact pair so not sure what next to do to get the square to actually contact the disk correctly??

Update: So i can get the agar disk to now deform semi correctly by simply imposing boundary conditions on the domains of the side of the disk. These boundary conditons give it zero displacement at its sides which is correct. However it appears that the smaller plastic square is just passing through the disk and is not actually coming into "contact" with it? I've defined an assembly instead of a union and also defined a contact pair so not sure what next to do to get the square to actually contact the disk correctly??

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.