Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

surface Acoustic Wave Gas Sensor

Kaluri Sri Raja Rajeswara Rao

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Sir, Iam working on MEMS based Surface Acosutic Wave gas sensor.Since this works on Mass-loading effect to know the sensor performance like sensitivity etc "resonant frequency shift" is to be calculated. I request you to mention the process that is available to assess the resonance frequency shoft in comsol multiphysics tool.

12 Replies Last Post Oct 24, 2019, 11:14 a.m. EDT

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 18, 2019, 7:09 a.m. EDT

I want to calculate Y11 admittance and I want to draw admittance versus frequency plot for observing resonant frequency shift before and after exposure of the gas.apals let me know

I want to calculate Y11 admittance and I want to draw admittance versus frequency plot for observing resonant frequency shift before and after exposure of the gas.apals let me know

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 18, 2019, 7:49 a.m. EDT

what is the process of exposing SAW gas sensor to a gas in COMSOL?

what is the process of exposing SAW gas sensor to a gas in COMSOL?

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 18, 2019, 8:44 a.m. EDT

Hi,

Check the application library model under Acoustics Module > Ultrasound > saw_gas_sensor.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, Check the application library model under Acoustics Module > Ultrasound > saw_gas_sensor. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 22, 2019, 5:43 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Oct 22, 2019, 4:50 a.m. EDT

Sir, Thank you for th e reply .but i have already designed a model but iam unable to plot the admittance versus frequency plots which gives information about frequency shift.(resonance frequency before exposure to the gas and after exposure to the gas.)In the model which you suggested me to refer didnot find the admittance but they are able to tell that the resoance frequency shift .my doubt is how to plot the admiitance versus frequency plot.since so many days iam struggling for it but i couldnot get the result.pls help me.

Sir, Thank you for th e reply .but i have already designed a model but iam unable to plot the admittance versus frequency plots which gives information about frequency shift.(resonance frequency before exposure to the gas and after exposure to the gas.)In the model which you suggested me to refer didnot find the admittance but they are able to tell that the resoance frequency shift .my doubt is how to plot the admiitance versus frequency plot.since so many days iam struggling for it but i couldnot get the result.pls help me.

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 23, 2019, 1:29 p.m. EDT

Admittance is Current/Voltage. So you need to determine the voltage on the electrodes and the current flowing. This is probably easiest if the electrodes are setup as terminals.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Admittance is Current/Voltage. So you need to determine the voltage on the electrodes and the current flowing. This is probably easiest if the electrodes are setup as terminals. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 23, 2019, 2:13 p.m. EDT

Sir, Thank you for the reply. In my model Iam using Interdigitated Electrode configuration.Iam treating electrodes as terminals as you have mentioned. As Iam new to COMSOL please let me know how to know voltage on the electordes and current flowing through the electrodes.

Iam herewith sending the comsol file pls let me know the modifications that are to be done for getting a proper admittance versus frequency curve.,resonance and antiresonance values from eigen frequency study.

Sir, Thank you for the reply. In my model Iam using Interdigitated Electrode configuration.Iam treating electrodes as terminals as you have mentioned. As Iam new to COMSOL please let me know how to know voltage on the electordes and current flowing through the electrodes. Iam herewith sending the comsol file pls let me know the modifications that are to be done for getting a proper admittance versus frequency curve.,resonance and antiresonance values from eigen frequency study.

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 23, 2019, 2:27 p.m. EDT

my another doubt is how to apply sinusoidal voltgae to the IDE(Inter digitated Electrodes).

my another doubt is how to apply sinusoidal voltgae to the IDE(Inter digitated Electrodes).

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 23, 2019, 2:54 p.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Oct 23, 2019, 10:54 a.m. EDT
  1. If you do frequency dependent analysis all signals are sinusoids.
  2. Define one electrode as Terminal, another as Ground.
  3. Create a Global Evaluation node, insert es.I0_1/es.V0_1, evaluate, and plot. (if the terminal is Terminal 2 then es.I0_2, etc.

D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting

By the way, the .lock file isn't openable.

1. If you do frequency dependent analysis all signals are sinusoids. 2. Define one electrode as Terminal, another as Ground. 3. Create a Global Evaluation node, insert es.I0_1/es.V0_1, evaluate, and plot. (if the terminal is Terminal 2 then es.I0_2, etc. D.W. Greve DWGreve Consulting By the way, the .lock file isn't openable.

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 24, 2019, 2:44 a.m. EDT

Sir, Thank you for the reply.I have followed the instructions as per the COMSOL for uploaidng the files.But even then I have tried to upload.After uploading Iam getting "Your upload timed out" meesage. Suggest me some way to upload my file.

Sir, Thank you for the reply.I have followed the instructions as per the COMSOL for uploaidng the files.But even then I have tried to upload.After uploading Iam getting "Your upload timed out" meesage. Suggest me some way to upload my file.

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 24, 2019, 3:05 a.m. EDT

Iam herewith attaching the image of my device for reference as there is a problem with the file upload. pls suggest some way to upload the file I will upload the file and I can have some suggestions from you.

Is frequency domain analysis is same as frequency dependent analysis?

As the configuration of IDT is in Interdigitated in fashion ho wto provide voltage as per your suggestion.Pls let me know.Iam eagerly waiting for your reply.

Iam herewith attaching the image of my device for reference as there is a problem with the file upload. pls suggest some way to upload the file I will upload the file and I can have some suggestions from you. Is frequency domain analysis is same as frequency dependent analysis? As the configuration of IDT is in Interdigitated in fashion ho wto provide voltage as per your suggestion.Pls let me know.Iam eagerly waiting for your reply.

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 24, 2019, 9:38 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Oct 24, 2019, 5:38 a.m. EDT

Is frequency domain analysis is same as frequency dependent analysis?

Yes.

I can't tell what the problem is with file upload. The image is no help in figuring out what your problem is.

In general I advise setting up and solving a simpler, smaller 2D problem before attempting a 3D solution.

DWG

> Is frequency domain analysis is same as frequency dependent analysis? Yes. I can't tell what the problem is with file upload. The image is no help in figuring out what your problem is. In general I advise setting up and solving a simpler, smaller 2D problem before attempting a 3D solution. DWG

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 24, 2019, 11:14 a.m. EDT

Sir thank you for the reply.can i send the file to you by email.since so many days iam struggling to know what is the problem in the model and due to that unable to plot admittance versus frequency

Sir thank you for the reply.can i send the file to you by email.since so many days iam struggling to know what is the problem in the model and due to that unable to plot admittance versus frequency

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.