Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Required Time to Reach A Specific Solution Value

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I am running a 1D time-dependent diffusion simulation. Is there an automated way to find the required time for a point in the domain to reach a specific concentration value? For example, I would like to know the time required for x = 0.5 m to have a concentration of 0.2 mol/m^3. I could manually find by various ways but I need an automated approach so that I can use in the Application Builder as an analysis result.

P.S: I am not interested in stopping the simulation.

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post Oct 18, 2019, 10:18 a.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Oct 18, 2019, 10:18 a.m. EDT
Updated: 4 years ago Oct 18, 2019, 9:08 a.m. EDT

Hello Ali,

See this old thread, and this one. Note that with your boolean you'll want to not test for the variable being exactly 0.2, but rather some inequality (like between .199 and .201) to account for the finite precision of computers.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Ali, See this [old thread](//https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/120002/time-to-reach-steady-state?last=2016-07-27T15:22:39Z), and [this one](https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/112182/how-evaluate-time-when-a-variable-assumes-a-given-value?last=2016-05-05T21:36:51Z). Note that with your boolean you'll want to not test for the variable being exactly 0.2, but rather some inequality (like between .199 and .201) to account for the finite precision of computers. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.