Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Expression for incident magnetic field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am simulating a resonator where I use a port condition to send in an incident wave, specificied with initial electric field amplitude. From my results, I want to obtain the z component of the magnetic field normalized by the incident magnetic field to plot the enhancement due to the resonator. However, I cannot seem to find any expression for the incident magnetic field (I was able to plot only "emw.Hz" so far). Can anyone help with this?

2 Replies Last Post Dec 21, 2019, 2:06 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Dec 7, 2019, 8:14 p.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Dec 7, 2019, 3:17 p.m. EST

Rather than trying to launch an incident wave using a port, use the scattered-wave formalism to define your incident wave. You'll find the setting if you click on the Electromagnetic Waves item in the Model Builder, then go to Settings, and expand the Formulation right-arrow, and choose Scattered Field. This approach allows you to separately compute and plot the background field (for the z component, that's called emw.Hbz) as well as the total field (which is called emw.Hz, for the z component.) That "background" field is your incident field.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
Rather than trying to launch an incident wave using a port, use the scattered-wave formalism to define your incident wave. You'll find the setting if you click on the Electromagnetic Waves item in the Model Builder, then go to Settings, and expand the Formulation right-arrow, and choose Scattered Field. This approach allows you to separately compute and plot the background field (for the z component, that's called emw.Hbz) as well as the total field (which is called emw.Hz, for the z component.) That "background" field is your incident field.

Posted: 4 years ago Dec 21, 2019, 2:06 p.m. EST

I was able to change the field definition from a port to scattered field. However, my model uses Floquet boundary conditions (I am modeling an array of resonators), and these boundary conditions need a k-vector for Floquet periodicity to be defined. How is the best way to do this?

I was able to change the field definition from a port to scattered field. However, my model uses Floquet boundary conditions (I am modeling an array of resonators), and these boundary conditions need a k-vector for Floquet periodicity to be defined. How is the best way to do this?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.