Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Liquid Surface Model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI, I'm trying to construct a model to predict the effects of a laser on the surface of a body of water. I've found two papers who do the same in Comsol, with very similar methods using laminar two-phase flow, moving mesh.

I've never had the opportunity to be taught Comsol, so I'm having to self-teach. I have two main questions:

How can I deal with "Failed to find consistent initial values. Last time step is not converged?" I've thought a lot about my initial values, tried many possibilities of boundary/initial conditions, tried setting point constraints to 0Pa, smaller initial time steps, finer meshes, etc. It rarely seems to work, and when it does I can't figure out why.

When I get the model working, how can I direct Comsol to focus on simulating the movement at the boundary rather than in the body of water? I have an equation for the volumetric force exerted by the laser on the water, but I can't get the mesh to deform, the pressure just ramps up near the surface, but it won't move even if I turn off its prescribed displacement.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Link to a research paper outlining the task: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4102109/

0 Replies Last Post Feb 8, 2020, 2:20 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Richard Mullan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.