Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Mesh error in 4.2a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I managed to do with 4.2 a swept mesh in my almost spherical model. Simulations are also successful.

But what happens with 4.2a? It automatically creates another mesh (Reference 1), and running the simulation fails to start:

"Problem setting up multigrid.
Multiple problems arose when building the mesh.
- Features: Reference 1/Free Tetrahedral 1, Reference 1/Free Tetrahedral 2
Failed to generate mesh for domain.
- Domain: 17
Internal error in boundary respecting.
- x-coordinate: -4.19511
- y-coordinate: 4.19511
- z-coordinate: -7.53259
Error in multiphysics compilation."

In 4.2 no mesh "Reference 1" is created. I also remeshed in 4.2a, and there appears no problems. Removing Multigrid from the solver creates then a problem "Cannot find initial value".

3 Replies Last Post Jan 12, 2012, 9:35 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2012, 3:35 a.m. EST
Hold on!

It is probably question of file corruption, as simulations in 4.2 and up with a file save error, and no other file makes that.
Hold on! It is probably question of file corruption, as simulations in 4.2 and up with a file save error, and no other file makes that.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 12, 2012, 2:40 a.m. EST
File save error was due to that particular file, but the original meshing error still remains. I wonder if Ivar or somebody else from Comsol had time to aomment.
File save error was due to that particular file, but the original meshing error still remains. I wonder if Ivar or somebody else from Comsol had time to aomment.

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 12, 2012, 9:35 a.m. EST
I don’t know why COMSOL 4.2 would work and 4.2a wouldn’t, but the meshing error is due to the extra coarser mesh created internally for the multigrid solver. If you make the original mesh finer there is a good chance that the multigrid mesh will work. Also if the model is not too big, switch to a direct solver (instead of a non-multigrid iterative solver). That is more likely to avoid the “Cannot find initial value” error.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
I don’t know why COMSOL 4.2 would work and 4.2a wouldn’t, but the meshing error is due to the extra coarser mesh created internally for the multigrid solver. If you make the original mesh finer there is a good chance that the multigrid mesh will work. Also if the model is not too big, switch to a direct solver (instead of a non-multigrid iterative solver). That is more likely to avoid the “Cannot find initial value” error. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.