Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to add a new geometry to model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear experts! Please, suggest me how to add a new Geometry node into Model node? (Please, see attachment. Only one "Geometry 1" node is allowed). I have a situation, when the same problem should be solved for different domains. In order do not create several models, I wish to create one model with several geometries. Is it possible in Comsol??

4 Replies Last Post Jan 12, 2012, 9:29 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2012, 3:12 p.m. EST
Hi

what do you mean by a new geometry ? Cant you have one global geometry, and seect only part for "model1.physics 1" and another part (with overlaps if required, for "model1.physics2", and then have two study steps (or more) under model1 ?

or have 2 models 1&2 each with its geometry and studies, and some link between them ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi what do you mean by a new geometry ? Cant you have one global geometry, and seect only part for "model1.physics 1" and another part (with overlaps if required, for "model1.physics2", and then have two study steps (or more) under model1 ? or have 2 models 1&2 each with its geometry and studies, and some link between them ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2012, 3:48 p.m. EST
Say, I have a number of geometry primitives (rectangles, circles etc.) and I needed to obtain solutions for certain combinations of them (unions, intersections and so on) for given equation. How to obtain required set of solutions for different geometries?

<Regards>
Say, I have a number of geometry primitives (rectangles, circles etc.) and I needed to obtain solutions for certain combinations of them (unions, intersections and so on) for given equation. How to obtain required set of solutions for different geometries?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2012, 6:17 p.m. EST
Hi

I do not really see your issue:
a COMSOL model file can contain several "models" each with one complex geometry. for a given model, part or all of the geometry entities can be meshed in different ways (mutiple mesh nodes), each model can have several physics or PDE nodes, each using all or part of the full geometry. Each model can have one or several solver sequences, combining one or several physics (each related to a given mesh not necesarily all the same), these sequences can be separate or chained.

Postprocessing can combine results from several variables from several models ...

What are you really missing ? (and a geometry can easily be saved and reloadedon model2, 3, ...)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not really see your issue: a COMSOL model file can contain several "models" each with one complex geometry. for a given model, part or all of the geometry entities can be meshed in different ways (mutiple mesh nodes), each model can have several physics or PDE nodes, each using all or part of the full geometry. Each model can have one or several solver sequences, combining one or several physics (each related to a given mesh not necesarily all the same), these sequences can be separate or chained. Postprocessing can combine results from several variables from several models ... What are you really missing ? (and a geometry can easily be saved and reloadedon model2, 3, ...) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 12, 2012, 9:29 a.m. EST
Thank you, Ivar. I think I obtained a reply on my question.

<Regards>
Thank you, Ivar. I think I obtained a reply on my question.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.