Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange results in transient acoustics.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I found it rather strange while i was setting the flow point source .
The equation that it uses is the dS/dt to define the source.
When i define S=(1/(2*pi*1000000))*sin(2*pi*1000000[Hz]*t)*(t<=0.0000001) i should be getting
a cosine pulse when 0<t<0.000001 and zero otherwise. But it gives me a sine pulse of magnitude
0.5 as shown in Fig 1.

The second strange result that i observed was when i used S=-(1/(2*pi*1000000))*cos(2*pi*1000000[Hz]*t)*(t<=0.0000001) i should be getting a sine pulse when 0<t<0.0000001 and zero otherwise. But it gives me a srange result as shown in Fig 2.

Looks simple but im quite stumped at these results.
Thanks a lot for your time and effort!!

Regards
Glenston

3 Replies Last Post Jan 17, 2012, 10:34 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 16, 2012, 5:33 p.m. EST
Hi

I suppose it depends if you plot S or dS/dt
And what you assume for the integration constants, if you are integrating
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I suppose it depends if you plot S or dS/dt And what you assume for the integration constants, if you are integrating -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2012, 9:36 a.m. EST

Hi

I suppose it depends if you plot S or dS/dt
And what you assume for the integration constants, if you are integrating
--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi Ivar,

Let me put it in a better way with a figure of my geometry.
I'm not checking these functions in the analytic section. But giving them as inputs to the problem.

When i define S=(1/(2*pi*1000000))*sin(2*pi*1000000[Hz]*t)*(t<=0.0000001) i should be getting
a cosine pulse when 0<t<0.000001 and zero otherwise. But it gives me a sine pulse of magnitude
0.5 as shown in Fig 1.

The second strange result that i observed was when i used S=-(1/(2*pi*1000000))*cos(2*pi*1000000[Hz]*t)*(t<=0.0000001) i should be getting a sine pulse when 0<t<0.0000001 and zero otherwise. But it gives me a srange result as shown in Fig 2.
It asks us to enter the S field but in the equation it uses dS/dt.

I use point graph to obtain Fig1 & 2 using the source point as the point to plot the graph for.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort.

Regards
Glenston
[QUOTE] Hi I suppose it depends if you plot S or dS/dt And what you assume for the integration constants, if you are integrating -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi Ivar, Let me put it in a better way with a figure of my geometry. I'm not checking these functions in the analytic section. But giving them as inputs to the problem. When i define S=(1/(2*pi*1000000))*sin(2*pi*1000000[Hz]*t)*(t

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2012, 10:34 a.m. EST
Hi

sorry I cannot help more, acoustics is one of the modules I'm missing (it's on my list but it's my boss = my efficiency that might pay it) so I'm not sure how COMSOL handles "S" and if it was not adding a constant or changing the amplitude via some normalisation in the same process

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sorry I cannot help more, acoustics is one of the modules I'm missing (it's on my list but it's my boss = my efficiency that might pay it) so I'm not sure how COMSOL handles "S" and if it was not adding a constant or changing the amplitude via some normalisation in the same process -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.