Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Stress or strain on a boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm trying to find out what the effect of 'holes' in a hydrogel is on the modulus of that gel. For this reason, I simulated the gel in 2D as a square block. On this block, I want to apply a shear or stress on the upper boundary in the x-direction, but I cannot find the boundary condition for this. How do I apply a shear or stress on a boundary?

Kind regards

2 Replies Last Post Mar 30, 2020, 10:02 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 30, 2020, 2:17 a.m. EDT

Hi Jarne,

In the Boundary Load node you can apply an arbitrary traction. You cannot directly prescribe a strain, but through Prescribed Displacement you can in principle do that.

However, from how you describe your problem, I think Cell Periodicity may be the feature you are really looking for. It is intended for computing effective moduli of unit cells of an inhomogeneous material .

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Jarne, In the *Boundary Load* node you can apply an arbitrary traction. You cannot directly prescribe a strain, but through *Prescribed Displacement* you can in principle do that. However, from how you describe your problem, I think *Cell Periodicity* may be the feature you are really looking for. It is intended for computing effective moduli of unit cells of an inhomogeneous material .

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 30, 2020, 10:02 a.m. EDT

Hi Hendrik,

Thank you very much for your reply! It is very helpful!

Hi Hendrik, Thank you very much for your reply! It is very helpful!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.