Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Drilling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I need to do a model in the heat transfer, the problem is that the first time that use COMSOL and I don't know how can I do a model of drilling, because of the heat source change.

Thank you!!!

3 Replies Last Post Feb 15, 2012, 9:08 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2012, 4:25 a.m. EST
Hi

COMSOL is slightly complex and confusing when you start, this is because of all the possibilities of all sorts of physics.

First you must become familiar with the COMSOL approach and notation, distinguis variables, their scope, the implicit notation of filds etc. There sre several interesting videos on the main site and numerous models in the model library.

my advice start with a few videos about comsol ,then about HT (heat transfer9 and do several of the simple exercicies, before starting the complex one with several physics. Once you are aquinted with the COMSOL methodology you can easily set up quite complex systems, you will soon see ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOL is slightly complex and confusing when you start, this is because of all the possibilities of all sorts of physics. First you must become familiar with the COMSOL approach and notation, distinguis variables, their scope, the implicit notation of filds etc. There sre several interesting videos on the main site and numerous models in the model library. my advice start with a few videos about comsol ,then about HT (heat transfer9 and do several of the simple exercicies, before starting the complex one with several physics. Once you are aquinted with the COMSOL methodology you can easily set up quite complex systems, you will soon see ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2012, 8:33 a.m. EST
Hi,

The problem is with the displacement os the heat flow, Idon't know how to make the heat flow moves over a surface.

Thank you
Hi, The problem is with the displacement os the heat flow, Idon't know how to make the heat flow moves over a surface. Thank you

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 15, 2012, 9:08 a.m. EST
Hi

when you define a BC (i.e. heat flux one) you select the boundaries where it applies, and you give a value. If this is a numerical value or a constant then the overall boundary gets this value, but you can aslo define a function of (x,y,z,t) (or r in 2D-axi, or a few only of all these). i.e. you can write q = 12[W/m^2*K]*(X-X0)/Length where X is the X coordinate, X0 an origine you decide and Length the total length over which you define your slope/gradient. then the heat flux will vary along the X direction. You do the same for Y,Z, R and or the time t

Just note that "x" and "X" are not always the same (upper and lower case) this depends on which frame you refer to (typically the spatial or material frame and if these are different, as for "solid" physics) and the different physics will/might give different links to the original or to the final deformed structure

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi when you define a BC (i.e. heat flux one) you select the boundaries where it applies, and you give a value. If this is a numerical value or a constant then the overall boundary gets this value, but you can aslo define a function of (x,y,z,t) (or r in 2D-axi, or a few only of all these). i.e. you can write q = 12[W/m^2*K]*(X-X0)/Length where X is the X coordinate, X0 an origine you decide and Length the total length over which you define your slope/gradient. then the heat flux will vary along the X direction. You do the same for Y,Z, R and or the time t Just note that "x" and "X" are not always the same (upper and lower case) this depends on which frame you refer to (typically the spatial or material frame and if these are different, as for "solid" physics) and the different physics will/might give different links to the original or to the final deformed structure -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.