Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inductor circuit modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Suppose I have an inductor that is charged up, holding a constant magnetic field and current. When this inductor is connected to a resistor (like shown below), its current and voltage will decay exponentially.

Now suppose there are multiple of these circuits and the inductors in each separate circuit interact through mutual inductances. All inductors at t=0 contain a current and magnetic field. When the decay starts, magnetic fields will change and induce currents (Lenz's law) and voltages (Faraday's law) in other inductors. Induced currents and voltages will induce more changing fields, currents, and voltages.

I've tried to model this by linking the electrical circuits module to the coils (inductors) in the magnetic and electric fields module. I can give the coils an excitation for their initial current or voltage, but not link the coil to a resistor in the circuits module so the excitation decays over time.

It seems COMSOL is limited for simulating this -- the coil can be powered by a circuit, but it cannot be connected as a power source for a circuit. Is there anyway to do this?

1 Reply Last Post Jun 22, 2020, 4:20 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Jun 22, 2020, 4:20 p.m. EDT

Jeremy,

mef is not supporting time dependent studies. You can do this in mf though.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Jeremy, mef is not supporting time dependent studies. You can do this in mf though. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.