Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fluid embedded in Solid cylinder

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I hope this finds you well.

I'm new to comsol and im trying to do get a deflection of a cylinder which has a fluid inside.

The system is as the following:

1. Cylinder with a cavity
  2. this cavity will be filled with an oil
  3. cylinder will be fixed from the bottom face
  4. a force of 200N is applied on the upper face
  5. hence, the fluid and the system is squeezed
  6. I will get the displacement on the upper surface
  7. I will run the simulation for multiple times but with different viscosities of oil to see the effect on the deflection

I managed to put the force and the fixation and so on. but I failed to add the fluid.

May I know how to accomplish this simulation correctly? I can add the solid mechanics part easily. Geometry is ready as well. My concern is with the fluid part only.

Waiting for your feedback.

Many Thanks.

- A figure is attached for illustration

2 Replies Last Post Nov 30, 2020, 4:26 a.m. EST
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 29, 2020, 1:22 p.m. EST

Have a look at

https://www.comsol.com/model/hyperelastic-seal-206

(keeping in mind that your problem is simpler, as the cylinder is not hyperelastic).

Physically I would not expect the solution to depend on viscosity, only on the fluid compressibility.

Have a look at https://www.comsol.com/model/hyperelastic-seal-206 (keeping in mind that your problem is simpler, as the cylinder is not hyperelastic). Physically I would not expect the solution to depend on viscosity, only on the fluid compressibility.

Posted: 3 years ago Nov 30, 2020, 4:26 a.m. EST

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen this example and it did not help me that much in my problem.

My problem is: this fluid is MRF fluid (i.e., chnaging its properties when sucjected to magnetic field). So the entire cylinder will be subjected to magnetic field hence the fluid viscisity will change .. I have an equation gives the viscosity with respect to magnetic field directly so no need to add any magnetic field in the simulation. Now, how to do this simulation ? the only thing im able to change in the fluid is its viscosity only. I need to capture the fluid at different times with different viscosities.

Solid Mechanics part is Done. Fluid part is really the problem.

Thanks for your reply. I have seen this example and it did not help me that much in my problem. My problem is: this fluid is MRF fluid (i.e., chnaging its properties when sucjected to magnetic field). So the entire cylinder will be subjected to magnetic field hence the fluid viscisity will change .. I have an equation gives the viscosity with respect to magnetic field directly so no need to add any magnetic field in the simulation. Now, how to do this simulation ? the only thing im able to change in the fluid is its viscosity only. I need to capture the fluid at different times with different viscosities. Solid Mechanics part is Done. Fluid part is really the problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.