Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Different between pressure and stress tensor plot in solid mechanics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, Dear all,

Currently study solid mechanics in comsol, may i know what is difference when i plot the structure in terms pressure and stress tensor? i thought both of them are the same.

Is the stress tensor in comsol refer to Cauchy stress?

Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post Mar 30, 2012, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 30, 2012, 8:59 a.m. EDT
Pressure is a scalar can be calculated from the stress tensor as P= -(S11+S22+S33)/3. The stress tensor may be Cauchy, first Piola-Kirchhoff or second Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor. In geometrically nonlinear problems COMSOL outputs all of them I believe.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Pressure is a scalar can be calculated from the stress tensor as P= -(S11+S22+S33)/3. The stress tensor may be Cauchy, first Piola-Kirchhoff or second Piola-Kirchhoff stress tensor. In geometrically nonlinear problems COMSOL outputs all of them I believe. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.