Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Prestressed modal analysis

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Dose anybody have idea that the prestressed modal analysis is based on the deformed configuration or just work on the initial configuration?

Thanks

7 Replies Last Post Apr 23, 2012, 5:28 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2012, 4:13 a.m. EDT
Hi

I cannot really tell, like that, but, what disturbsme with your question is on the other hand: can you have a prestressed beam without any deformation ?

One way to check is (perhaps) to try a manual 1D compression stress (in 2D) and see if it affects, with and without change in length

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I cannot really tell, like that, but, what disturbsme with your question is on the other hand: can you have a prestressed beam without any deformation ? One way to check is (perhaps) to try a manual 1D compression stress (in 2D) and see if it affects, with and without change in length -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2012, 12:47 p.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar.

To make clear, my question is the prestressed analysis mode in COMSOL consider the deformation of structure or not? Or COMSOL just performs prestressed analysis on initial configuration.

Thanks
Thanks Ivar. To make clear, my question is the prestressed analysis mode in COMSOL consider the deformation of structure or not? Or COMSOL just performs prestressed analysis on initial configuration. Thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2012, 1:09 p.m. EDT
Hi

an eigenfrequency analysis based on a stressed (or at rest) starting point, is a linearised analysis based on the intial values,

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi an eigenfrequency analysis based on a stressed (or at rest) starting point, is a linearised analysis based on the intial values, -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 9, 2012, 2:12 p.m. EDT
Thanks a lot.

So, if I want to do prestressed modal analysis based on deformed configuration by COMSOL, I should use deformed mesh mode of COMSOL.

Does it make sense?

Thank you!
Thanks a lot. So, if I want to do prestressed modal analysis based on deformed configuration by COMSOL, I should use deformed mesh mode of COMSOL. Does it make sense? Thank you!

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 10, 2012, 6:04 a.m. EDT
Hi

No
use a standard solid + stationary to apply your initial stress, then add an eigenfequency using the stationry as linearization and initial values (both in the same study.

Check the model library linear buckling example its based on the same two solver process principle.
There is a lso a few prestressed eigenvalue cases in the model libnrary (be sure you have updated it) and I'm talking about the 4.2a one, as I do not have the earlier versions anymore

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi No use a standard solid + stationary to apply your initial stress, then add an eigenfequency using the stationry as linearization and initial values (both in the same study. Check the model library linear buckling example its based on the same two solver process principle. There is a lso a few prestressed eigenvalue cases in the model libnrary (be sure you have updated it) and I'm talking about the 4.2a one, as I do not have the earlier versions anymore -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 10, 2012, 2:25 p.m. EDT
Thanks a lot!

I tried the prestressed eigenvalue cases. But I think in these cases, the deformation of structure is not taken into account in the following eigenvalue analysis.

I try to find the method to do prestressed modal analysis based on the deformed configuration rather than initial configuration.

Thanks a lot! I tried the prestressed eigenvalue cases. But I think in these cases, the deformation of structure is not taken into account in the following eigenvalue analysis. I try to find the method to do prestressed modal analysis based on the deformed configuration rather than initial configuration.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2012, 5:28 a.m. EDT
did you have any success?
did you have any success?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.