Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculate Volume Flow Rate

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am working on an incompressible laminar pipe flow problem. There are two pipe diameters, a pipe with big diameter is placed along x-axis, and the pipe with small diameter is placed along y-axis, two pipes are connected with a 90 degree bend at the origin. The inlet and outlet pressure are specified, say 1 Pa for inlet and 0 Pa for outlet. I tried to use boundary integration in the postprocessing to integrate velocity normal to the inlet and outlet surfaces (if the inlet is in the big pipe, then velocity in the x-direction, u, is integrated) and figured that the volume flow rate of the inlet differs from the volume flow rate of the outlet. Since the fluid is incompressible, the volume flow rate has to be the same. I have tried to turn on the weakly constraint and use finer meshes but in vain. Is there any thing wrong on my steps to calculate the volume flow rate? Thank you very much.

0 Replies Last Post Jan 28, 2010, 7:34 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Kuan-Min Wang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.