Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem with material properties and conductivity

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,
Still working on my 2d generator, I tried to set copper conductors with an external current density, Jez, depending on the time. But I figured that if the value of sigma (electric conductivity) is not equal to zero, the calculated field "almost" doesn't move with the rotor. If the conductivity is set to zero, no problem.
I attach one case with a current density of zero and a nonzero conductivity (where the magnetic flux density almost doesn't move), and one with nonzero current density and zero conductivity.

Some help would be great!
Ronan

3 Replies Last Post Feb 8, 2010, 11:56 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2010, 2:30 p.m. EST
No answer?
I've read something on this forum about the fact that one shouldn't set a non-zero conductivity in such a case. But I couldn't anderstand the reason..
I still would be very thankful to any help
Ronan
No answer? I've read something on this forum about the fact that one shouldn't set a non-zero conductivity in such a case. But I couldn't anderstand the reason.. I still would be very thankful to any help Ronan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2010, 3:01 a.m. EST
Hi

Perhaps you can find some explanations if you look at the current density plots of "normJ_emqa".
To enhace the current plot in (sigma <>0) case try to plot "log(normJ_emqa)"

For me this explains the effect on the field, but then why such current density differences.

There are a couple of discussion around on the effect of bulk coils or simulated wounded coils, could be an issue for you too

Have you checked that the total current is really there, and that you do not have any unexpected impedance / skin effects going on ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Perhaps you can find some explanations if you look at the current density plots of "normJ_emqa". To enhace the current plot in (sigma 0) case try to plot "log(normJ_emqa)" For me this explains the effect on the field, but then why such current density differences. There are a couple of discussion around on the effect of bulk coils or simulated wounded coils, could be an issue for you too Have you checked that the total current is really there, and that you do not have any unexpected impedance / skin effects going on ? Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2010, 11:56 a.m. EST
Hi,
Thanks for answering.
Unfortunately I couldn't find discussions on this forum that help me.
I also don't understand the high value of the induced current (until 1e6 !), with magnets of remanence 1 Tesla.

In the meanwhile I tried a different approach, following the one in "Generator Sector Dynamic". But I have now a completely different problem. I'll create a new topic to ask about it.

Cordially
Ronan
Hi, Thanks for answering. Unfortunately I couldn't find discussions on this forum that help me. I also don't understand the high value of the induced current (until 1e6 !), with magnets of remanence 1 Tesla. In the meanwhile I tried a different approach, following the one in "Generator Sector Dynamic". But I have now a completely different problem. I'll create a new topic to ask about it. Cordially Ronan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.