Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to compute forces on a moving fluid-fluid interface?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,
I’m using Comsol Multiphysics 3.5a to model the formation of an oil droplet from a single pore. The droplet is carried away by a continuous phase(water) which flows parallel to the opening of the pore. I’m using Level Set method in order to track the moving oil-water interface. How can I do to compute the total viscous forces exerted by water on the droplet surface? Shall I use Matlab Interface? And in this case, which commands are useful to carry out this operation?
Many thanks

Giuliana

1 Reply Last Post Jan 29, 2010, 2:49 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2010, 2:49 a.m. EST
Hi

Tricky question you have there, as with the Level Set method you do not have a geometrical surface defined to integrate over as for the other models methods.
Basically, I would look into how to define the surface to integrate the stress over it, or use the droplet volume and try out a "work" approach to get hold of the boundary presure.

Pls keep us informed I find your question is very interesting, the solution will be to

Good luck
Ivar
Hi Tricky question you have there, as with the Level Set method you do not have a geometrical surface defined to integrate over as for the other models methods. Basically, I would look into how to define the surface to integrate the stress over it, or use the droplet volume and try out a "work" approach to get hold of the boundary presure. Pls keep us informed I find your question is very interesting, the solution will be to Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.