Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying an AC external current density through a 3D coil

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I would like to apply a time-harmonic AC current density through a coil, preferable in the formula of sin(wt+a).

Since my coil is round, the magnitude can be easily computed in the subdomain area with Jx = J_0*y/sqrt(x^2+y^2), Jy=...

I was wondering how you can define this time dependent current density function in the sub-domain section.

Since I have made my coil in 3D, I should use Quasi-statics magnetic for Time-harmonic and transient analysis ?

1 Reply Last Post Jan 29, 2010, 2:31 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2010, 2:31 a.m. EST
Hi

from my understanding "t" is only by default defined in "transient" mode, otherwise you must include it as a "param" by hand and check that the global formulas remain correct for your case.

When you have steady state harmonic continuous loads, I would seriously consider "harmonic" mode and work in the frequency domain, with the corresponding equation formulations, no ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi from my understanding "t" is only by default defined in "transient" mode, otherwise you must include it as a "param" by hand and check that the global formulas remain correct for your case. When you have steady state harmonic continuous loads, I would seriously consider "harmonic" mode and work in the frequency domain, with the corresponding equation formulations, no ? Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.