Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solution of Steady-state as an initial value to solve time dependent problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi folks,
I have a model where I need to first solve it for a steady-state and then use the solution as an initial value for the time dependent case. I read the COMSOL manual but did not find much help. I also read a few postings and comments on the discussion forum, but not too many details. Does anyone know how is it done from Solve menu in COMSOL GUI? Any example from model library would be fine.
Thanks and best wishes.

Sandra

2 Replies Last Post Jan 29, 2010, 3:41 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2010, 2:11 a.m. EST
Hi Sandra

It's the settings of the "Solver Manager" window and sub-tabs you should study (try an indexed search on your help files info and examples, as usual, are rather scattered around indeed).

Basically, run your first model (by deciding for which sub-enetity to "Solve For" and to "Output", if required (see relevant tabs), you store the solution (you might then save this as a first step in the "Sequence" tab), then you select in the "Initial Value" tab: "Stored Solution" (or "current solution" if you restart, by the way "restart" means from current solution, but pls check/try it out ,sometimes I get it wrong ;), finally you select, if relevant "Solve For" and "Output" items, and you run the second/third ... run (then you might save this is the "sequence tab, so that this is done automatically in this way for the next "global solve")

Hope this helps

Good luck
Ivar

Hi Sandra It's the settings of the "Solver Manager" window and sub-tabs you should study (try an indexed search on your help files info and examples, as usual, are rather scattered around indeed). Basically, run your first model (by deciding for which sub-enetity to "Solve For" and to "Output", if required (see relevant tabs), you store the solution (you might then save this as a first step in the "Sequence" tab), then you select in the "Initial Value" tab: "Stored Solution" (or "current solution" if you restart, by the way "restart" means from current solution, but pls check/try it out ,sometimes I get it wrong ;), finally you select, if relevant "Solve For" and "Output" items, and you run the second/third ... run (then you might save this is the "sequence tab, so that this is done automatically in this way for the next "global solve") Hope this helps Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2010, 3:41 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,
Thanks a lot for your input. I could see it working well.

Thanks,
Sandra
Hi Ivar, Thanks a lot for your input. I could see it working well. Thanks, Sandra

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.