Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ERROR Java exception occurred:

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I have been getting the below error when I tried to extend the geometry step by step. Nothing seems wrong with the geometry. I've changed the mesh size, this helped a bit but then gave the same error again.

If anyone can help me with this I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance..

Java exception occurred:
Exception:
com.femlab.jni.FlNativeException: Internal error advancing front mesher

Failed to generate mesh for subdomain
- Subdomain: 1

Stack trace:

at afmesh.cpp, row 424, (No candidate point found near (0.000286791, 0.000734401))
at mesh2init.cpp, row 1116, ()

at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Native Method)

at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Unknown Source)

at com.femlab.mesh.MeshInitRunnable.run(Unknown Source)

at com.femlab.server.FlRunner.run(Unknown Source)

at com.femlab.server.q.run(Unknown Source)

at com.femlab.util.i.run(Unknown Source)

at com.femlab.util.aa.run(Unknown Source)

5 Replies Last Post Feb 19, 2010, 11:49 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2010, 12:35 p.m. EST
Hi Elif,
I suggest you try "interactive meshing". Doing something as simple as meshing the subdomains one at a time as opposed to all at once may solve your problem. If this doesn't work take a closer look at the geometry of the subdomain that is giving you trouble. Perhaps there is a very small scale geometry feature (gap etc) that the mesher doesn't know how to handle.
Hope this helps
Ozgur
Hi Elif, I suggest you try "interactive meshing". Doing something as simple as meshing the subdomains one at a time as opposed to all at once may solve your problem. If this doesn't work take a closer look at the geometry of the subdomain that is giving you trouble. Perhaps there is a very small scale geometry feature (gap etc) that the mesher doesn't know how to handle. Hope this helps Ozgur

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 16, 2010, 1:22 p.m. EST
Hi,
Try to localize this point (0.000286791, 0.000734401) in your geometry and take a look on it.

Interactive mesh (as it was said in the previous message) could be also a smart way to mesh domain by domain until you get the error and then detect the wrong point.

Good luck
Hi, Try to localize this point (0.000286791, 0.000734401) in your geometry and take a look on it. Interactive mesh (as it was said in the previous message) could be also a smart way to mesh domain by domain until you get the error and then detect the wrong point. Good luck

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 18, 2010, 5:56 a.m. EST
Hi

I have checked the geometry at the point given in the error message, but there is nothing wrong with the geometry, no intersecting parts or very small areas that mesh cannot cope with, of course I cannot see the mesh because of this error.

Thanks very much for the answers. Interactive meshing will definitely help me.

Regards,
Elif
Hi I have checked the geometry at the point given in the error message, but there is nothing wrong with the geometry, no intersecting parts or very small areas that mesh cannot cope with, of course I cannot see the mesh because of this error. Thanks very much for the answers. Interactive meshing will definitely help me. Regards, Elif

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2010, 8:36 a.m. EST
Hi,

I have found a solution for "Internal error in advancing front mesher" error from another comsol forum that I would like to share here to help other users who may come across this problem.

"The advancing front mesher is a new feature of comsol 3.5a, and it is used as the default
meshing method for subdomains. It is possible to try another method, for example "free
triangle", which was the default in 3.4. You would do this by passing the parameter-values
'Methodsub','tri' to the meshinit function: "

fem.mesh = meshinit(fem,'Methodsub','tri')

Hi, I have found a solution for "Internal error in advancing front mesher" error from another comsol forum that I would like to share here to help other users who may come across this problem. "The advancing front mesher is a new feature of comsol 3.5a, and it is used as the default meshing method for subdomains. It is possible to try another method, for example "free triangle", which was the default in 3.4. You would do this by passing the parameter-values 'Methodsub','tri' to the meshinit function: " fem.mesh = meshinit(fem,'Methodsub','tri')

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2010, 11:49 a.m. EST
Hi all

My experience is that the advance front mesher often is better and more regular than free mesher, but I too often run into mesh issues obliging me to fight manually (usully I manage by cutting up the domain that causes the problems).

In the GUI you can select the mesher type in the "Free Mesh Parameter" "Subdomain" "Method" field
Good luck
Ivar
Hi all My experience is that the advance front mesher often is better and more regular than free mesher, but I too often run into mesh issues obliging me to fight manually (usully I manage by cutting up the domain that causes the problems). In the GUI you can select the mesher type in the "Free Mesh Parameter" "Subdomain" "Method" field Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.