Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat Transfer using Electric Current

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am getting high temperature than in the reference research paper I am following when I give 24 V to the copper electrode. Will anyone help me to understand regarding electric heating in comsol.

I am having almost 20 times more temperature than in my reference paper. It means the copper electrode is heating too much in same input and time duration than in the reference paper.

2 Replies Last Post Oct 1, 2023, 1:33 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 months ago Sep 28, 2023, 4:36 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 months ago Sep 28, 2023, 4:36 p.m. EDT

Hello Anup,

Without knowing what you did in your mph file and what the authors of the paper did in their work, it is not possible to determine how one deviates from the other.

However, the fact that the two differ by a factor 20 means that the difference is not a subtle one, such as a small difference in solver settings or the fineness of your mesh relative to theirs, etc. I would look more into such questions as whether your boundary conditions are identical to theirs, whether the size of your geometry matches theirs, etc. Those things can make a huge impact on the solution and are easy to overlook (been there, done that).

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Anup, Without knowing what you did in your mph file and what the authors of the paper did in their work, it is not possible to determine how one deviates from the other. However, the fact that the two differ by a factor 20 means that the difference is not a subtle one, such as a small difference in solver settings or the fineness of your mesh relative to theirs, etc. I would look more into such questions as whether your boundary conditions are identical to theirs, whether the size of your geometry matches theirs, etc. Those things can make a huge impact on the solution and are easy to overlook (been there, done that). Best, Jeff

Posted: 7 months ago Oct 1, 2023, 1:33 p.m. EDT
Updated: 7 months ago Oct 1, 2023, 1:33 p.m. EDT

Thank you for your reply, I have checked geometries, material used and boundary conditions. All are same. I am only not able to model the heating part properly.

The paper I am following is this: Numerical and outdoor experimental study on active snow melting of conductive rubber composites in roads https://doi.org/10.1080/14680629.2022.2103020

Here is my COMSOL model, please find the file attached.

Thank you for your reply, I have checked geometries, material used and boundary conditions. All are same. I am only not able to model the heating part properly. The paper I am following is this: Numerical and outdoor experimental study on active snow melting of conductive rubber composites in roads https://doi.org/10.1080/14680629.2022.2103020 Here is my COMSOL model, please find the file attached.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.