Simulate a simple Sedimentation process in a vertical cylindrical tube.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, Comsol community. I'm new to the software and I'm slowly learning how to manipulate and extract information from simulations. I'm in a scientific initiation that involves Sedimentation. I would like to learn how to simulate a Sedimentation process in Comsol to further enhance my research. What tips could you give me?

Thank you!

1 Reply Last Post Mar 11, 2024, 4:02 p.m. EDT
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 months ago Mar 11, 2024, 4:02 p.m. EDT
Updated: 2 months ago Mar 11, 2024, 3:57 p.m. EDT

Hello Gabriel,

As I have no expertise whatsoever in sedimentation, I can only answer your question in a general fashion, at the risk of telling you things you already know. With that out of the way...

The first thing I would do is ask myself is "what am I trying to get out of the simulation?". Is it a trend between some of the inputs and some of the outputs? Is it the actual value of certain outputs?

The answer to that question will typically suggest various equations and sets of equations that could be solved by the model to yield the outputs you need. Some will be simpler to implement and solve than others; some may be in one dimension (or even algebraic), others may be in 2 or 3 dimensions.

Unless you have a very specific reason to do otherwise, start with the simplest equation (or set of equations) in the lowest dimension. No reason to make your own job more difficult than it needs to be.

Does that simplest equation (or set of equations) match an equation (or set of equations) that comes implemented on one of the ready-made COMSOL physics interfaces? If so, use that physics interface. If not, use one of the interfaces in the "Mathematics" branch of the Model Builder in COMSOL to implement that equation (or set of equations).

Either way, before you start building your own model, I'd recommend working through a model or two that use the interface in question. You will typically find such models in the Application Libraries (Under the File menu) and Application Gallery (on the COMSOL website). I'll add that there are tens of thousands of papers that have been published by COMSOL users over the years, and it is a good idea to do a bit of a literature search too, in order to see what other practitioners in your field have already done; perhaps they would be happy to share some of their files to help you get going.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Gabriel, As I have no expertise whatsoever in sedimentation, I can only answer your question in a general fashion, at the risk of telling you things you already know. With that out of the way... The first thing I would do is ask myself is "what am I trying to get out of the simulation?". Is it a trend between some of the inputs and some of the outputs? Is it the actual value of certain outputs? The answer to that question will typically suggest various equations and sets of equations that could be solved by the model to yield the outputs you need. Some will be simpler to implement and solve than others; some may be in one dimension (or even algebraic), others may be in 2 or 3 dimensions. Unless you have a very specific reason to do otherwise, start with the simplest equation (or set of equations) in the lowest dimension. No reason to make your own job more difficult than it needs to be. Does that simplest equation (or set of equations) match an equation (or set of equations) that comes implemented on one of the ready-made COMSOL physics interfaces? If so, use that physics interface. If not, use one of the interfaces in the "Mathematics" branch of the Model Builder in COMSOL to implement that equation (or set of equations). Either way, before you start building your own model, I'd recommend working through a model or two that use the interface in question. You will typically find such models in the Application Libraries (Under the File menu) and Application Gallery (on the COMSOL website). I'll add that there are tens of thousands of papers that have been published by COMSOL users over the years, and it is a good idea to do a bit of a literature search too, in order to see what other practitioners in your field have already done; perhaps they would be happy to share some of their files to help you get going. Best regards, Jeff

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.