Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Difference between Initial Stress and Boundary Loads

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I like to get some help in the basics. I have a 2D axisymmetric model of a thin membrane. The ends of the membrane are fixed at the outer edge using Fixed Constraint node. The membrane has a voltage applied on it and the bottom of the larger domain where the membrane lives is at ground. I also want to pre tension the membrane with an initial force acting out. It seems that the only way I can get this to work is to specify the initial stress tensor in the (0,0) component. However, when I apply a Boundary load on the Fixed Constraint node (acting outwards) the model doesn't work.

Hence my question: what is the difference between Initial Stress and Boundary Loads. I looked through the manual and various discussion forums but cannot find an answer.
I wondered whether having a boundary fixed precludes from applying an initial load on it.

Thank you in advance.

0 Replies Last Post Jul 22, 2013, 6:12 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Igor Liubarsky

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.