Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

quickly changing material or geometry in a multiphysics problem and resolving

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

First, thank you for this new forum - I think it will be very valuable to all users!

I am experimenting with the "loudspeaker" model in the model library. The procedure to set up and run the model is quite involved and takes a long time, so I am wondering if there is a way to automate the entire solution (including the magnetic, structural, and acoustic steps) so that if I want to make a small change, for example in the geometry or in a material property, then I can get an updated solution automatically.
I would want to see all the intermediate output recomputed, such as the BL factor, the graph for magnetic flux density along the coil, the sensitivity graph, the electrical impedance graph, etc.

What is the easiest way to re-run all these steps after making minor changes to the model and save all these outputs?

Best regards
Alex Salvatti
asalvatt@harman.com

1 Reply Last Post Jan 9, 2010, 4:13 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Alex Salvatti

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 9, 2010, 4:13 p.m. EST
Hi

I would say it depends, on the complexity of your geometry and the FEM model.

Matlab interface is the easiest and most powerfull for simple geometries, for simple or complex physics. To go this way, save your file in a ".m" format and start studying it, and your "history" file, as well as the mlinterface.pdf documentation.

If your geometry is a full engineering model with a lot of CAD details, but perhaps not the most complex FEM model set-up (just a few physics) then the CAD of the type SolidWorks (and probably a few others but I have only exerience with SW) is a good choice (you have to run on a powerfull Windows PC then), you can st up parametrisation on the geoemtry, driven by COMSOL.

You still have the hybrid with both matlab and SW + COMSOL, hat is if you really like complexity, and power ;)

But do not forget that when you adapt your geoemtry to the level of having large topology changes, such as dissapearance or creation of new boundaries or volumes, then COMSOL cannot guess what to do, and you will have a few challenging "list" correspondance issues to solve.

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say it depends, on the complexity of your geometry and the FEM model. Matlab interface is the easiest and most powerfull for simple geometries, for simple or complex physics. To go this way, save your file in a ".m" format and start studying it, and your "history" file, as well as the mlinterface.pdf documentation. If your geometry is a full engineering model with a lot of CAD details, but perhaps not the most complex FEM model set-up (just a few physics) then the CAD of the type SolidWorks (and probably a few others but I have only exerience with SW) is a good choice (you have to run on a powerfull Windows PC then), you can st up parametrisation on the geoemtry, driven by COMSOL. You still have the hybrid with both matlab and SW + COMSOL, hat is if you really like complexity, and power ;) But do not forget that when you adapt your geoemtry to the level of having large topology changes, such as dissapearance or creation of new boundaries or volumes, then COMSOL cannot guess what to do, and you will have a few challenging "list" correspondance issues to solve. Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.