Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Rotating Comsol Models

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Is there a way to simulate rotational motion in Comsol. The end goal is to import a model from Solidworks, convert it to a Comsol model and then rotate in order to find a good way to balance it on its rotation.

Any help is appreciated

2 Replies Last Post Jun 17, 2010, 2:06 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 12, 2010, 7:10 a.m. EDT
Hi

well I'm not sure I understand your "rotation", there are ways to draw a circle around a geoemtry and "rotate freely" along this border (see the generator ACDC models) I'm not sure its 100% implemented in V4 yet, have to check

but what's the difference with estimating the CoG/CoR Inertia terms of a volume ? you get the "balancing directly without moving the objects, or have I missed a point ?

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi well I'm not sure I understand your "rotation", there are ways to draw a circle around a geoemtry and "rotate freely" along this border (see the generator ACDC models) I'm not sure its 100% implemented in V4 yet, have to check but what's the difference with estimating the CoG/CoR Inertia terms of a volume ? you get the "balancing directly without moving the objects, or have I missed a point ? Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 17, 2010, 2:06 p.m. EDT
Rotation and balance sounds to me like you want to apply centrifugal loads and try to have them cancel out so your object is balanced.

You do this by applying a body force to the model, where the force is described as omega^2 * r * C * rho, where rho is the density, omega is the angular velocity and r is the radius from the center of rotation. C is some constant to take care of the units....

So you're not really "rotating" the model, but you're having COMSOL load the body as if it were rotating.

Depending on your situation, you can probably check your balance in a CAD package like SolidWorks without bothering to do any FEA work. Maybe not, though, depending on deflections and whatever else might happen.

-Jeff
Rotation and balance sounds to me like you want to apply centrifugal loads and try to have them cancel out so your object is balanced. You do this by applying a body force to the model, where the force is described as omega^2 * r * C * rho, where rho is the density, omega is the angular velocity and r is the radius from the center of rotation. C is some constant to take care of the units.... So you're not really "rotating" the model, but you're having COMSOL load the body as if it were rotating. Depending on your situation, you can probably check your balance in a CAD package like SolidWorks without bothering to do any FEA work. Maybe not, though, depending on deflections and whatever else might happen. -Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.