Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Spring actuator

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I intend to use COMSOL software to simulate two ultra small concentric springs, which share the same
deflection axis. Since, the COMSOL software is completely new to me, I was looking for someone who has experience using it since I am an electrical engineer not mechanical. Therefore, I have decided to try to ask in discussion forum. Currently, I am going through several tutorial examples, which work with no problems. Unfortunately, I have not found a similar tutorial, which I could exploit to use in my simulation. Basically, all I need, is to simulate two concentric springs which are connected at both their ends. One spring is made of SMA material and the other is compression spring made of music wire. At the begining both springs are compressed, then they are released which results in their elongation, then one of the springs pulls the other so they get into its previous position. I need to simulate the forces and accelerations. I have not found any tutorials on simulating compression springs and I am very frustrated. I am assuming the elastic cylinder approximation of spring will do the job, Can anyone send me a link on tutorial that would be close to simulating compression spring? thank you very much .

2 Replies Last Post Apr 18, 2011, 5:15 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 18, 2010, 1:43 a.m. EDT
Hi

its true that there are not that many examples inclassical structural, in your case I believe you have the choice even to go to "1D" and model the springs as lumped elements.

If you want to see parasitic oscillations and 3D effects, then clear you must generate your 3D volumes and fill in all meterial parameters first. An intermediate case would eb to use 2D-axi and simulate the springs along Z as two hollow cylinders and adapt the density, sizes, young modulus to get your desired spring constants.

have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi its true that there are not that many examples inclassical structural, in your case I believe you have the choice even to go to "1D" and model the springs as lumped elements. If you want to see parasitic oscillations and 3D effects, then clear you must generate your 3D volumes and fill in all meterial parameters first. An intermediate case would eb to use 2D-axi and simulate the springs along Z as two hollow cylinders and adapt the density, sizes, young modulus to get your desired spring constants. have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 18, 2011, 5:15 a.m. EDT
I am rajesh baswaraja from INDIA . I am studying Master of technology in NIT trichy college in INDIA.Could you please send the .mph file of spring actuator. I am doing my project in vibration control for that i need SMA and SPring Simulation.
I am rajesh baswaraja from INDIA . I am studying Master of technology in NIT trichy college in INDIA.Could you please send the .mph file of spring actuator. I am doing my project in vibration control for that i need SMA and SPring Simulation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.