Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer coefficient

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am an Electrical Engineer and I am not much familiar with heat transferring issues. I have a structure made of silcon and silica and I need to know how does it dissipate heat. In the martial property I have to set "heat transfer coefficient" and I don't know what is that and even there isn't any littérateur on heat transfer coefficient of silicon or silica. Can anybody give me some idea?

Thanks
Faraz

2 Replies Last Post Mar 11, 2011, 1:27 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 10, 2011, 6:13 p.m. EST
Heat transfer coefficient is not a property of the material, but of everything around it. If the air around your boundary is very stagnant, the coefficient may be 5-10 W/m^2/K. If it is moving fast, as in blown over by a CPU fan, it may be higher, perhaps around 50-100 W/m^2/K

Hope this helps.

Ozgur

Hi
I am an Electrical Engineer and I am not much familiar with heat transferring issues. I have a structure made of silcon and silica and I need to know how does it dissipate heat. In the martial property I have to set "heat transfer coefficient" and I don't know what is that and even there isn't any littérateur on heat transfer coefficient of silicon or silica. Can anybody give me some idea?

Thanks
Faraz

Heat transfer coefficient is not a property of the material, but of everything around it. If the air around your boundary is very stagnant, the coefficient may be 5-10 W/m^2/K. If it is moving fast, as in blown over by a CPU fan, it may be higher, perhaps around 50-100 W/m^2/K Hope this helps. Ozgur [QUOTE] Hi I am an Electrical Engineer and I am not much familiar with heat transferring issues. I have a structure made of silcon and silica and I need to know how does it dissipate heat. In the martial property I have to set "heat transfer coefficient" and I don't know what is that and even there isn't any littérateur on heat transfer coefficient of silicon or silica. Can anybody give me some idea? Thanks Faraz [/QUOTE]

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 11, 2011, 1:27 a.m. EST
Hi

my engineering "rule of thumb" values are:

1 atm air, normal temperature 20°C

very calm air 2[W/m^2/K]
normal laboratory air 5[W/m/K]
gentle air bow 10[W/m/K]
forced air blow 20-40[W/m/K]

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi my engineering "rule of thumb" values are: 1 atm air, normal temperature 20°C very calm air 2[W/m^2/K] normal laboratory air 5[W/m/K] gentle air bow 10[W/m/K] forced air blow 20-40[W/m/K] -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.